Tuesday, July 18, 2017

I have 80 kids: how many do you have?


They call me mom. 

Not just my two beautiful babies but 80 teenagers. I'm a High School English teacher. I say this proud and loud to anybody that will listen. After stating this to a checker yesterday her response was, "oh I am SO sorry! I just don't know how you do it!" I love my job. It's more then just a job, it's literally the adoption of 80 teens every school year. Some new, some familiar, but all with hormones and thoughts raging against time.

Lately the education system has been inundated with too many non-educators, attacking our classrooms. "You need to teach this way, you've got to get higher scores, why aren't you using technology, why are you using technology, students can't eat the calories they need to keep up with their ever-increasing schedule / stress / sports / school / drama"!!!! Why are outsiders telling me how to raise my kids? I spend 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, with these guys: doesn't this mean I know what they need to be successful people? I say people because as old as the notion is: I am teaching our future. I am raising future citizens of the United States that one day will hopefully make meaningful and smart decisions in life. I am not just "teaching to the test" I'm teaching them morals and skills that will help them pass the ever confusing exam of life.

Maybe I take my job too seriously but like I said before: this isn't my job it's my passion. I love these adolescents that are so confused at times that "Oh my gosh! They just CANT even!!"


Their messy bun (man or woman) is perfection. Maybe their tight jeans (again...man or woman) is cutting the circulation to their brains to fully function? I love those little humans that are just trying to figure out who to ask out to homecoming. "Will Gunner say yes? How do I ask him? Wait are my leggings cute? Lets pinterest this dilemma" (once again... this could be from a man or woman) man! Times are confusing!

A Wise veteran teacher of 25 years told me that the last 5 years of teaching have been tougher then the first 20 years of his career. Too many hands are trying to stir the pot. Too many students are on pot! Too much media has labeled teachers and education a flailing fleeting dying breed. Homeschool is at an all time high. Students are dropping out like flies.

I am not one to bash homeschooling, in fact I encourage whatever educational mode is best for the child. Each one learns differently, I get that, lets just put the textbooks down gently, release the white-knuckle grip on that horrid red pen, and support one another. How can we form a support system to help each other out?

(Warning: 'teachenese' coming up) 


How can we collaborate instead of commiserate? 





The common enemy has become outsiders trying to tell us not HOW to do our jobs but that we ARE DOING IT ALL WRONG! They have the nerve to tell us: the ones who have gone through college more than once to complete a degree in education, poured over countless novels and books about teaching, attended training which means weekends away from home and family. Spending after hours to read multiple blogs, posts, and yes even pinterest on the latest teaching techniques and making learning interesting and fun, us; who have spent our own time and money, love, sweat, and tears into this so called "job". But we're doing it all "wrong".

So to that checker: don't be sorry for me.





We (teachers) are mom, dad, coach, counselor, and educator. We fill in the blanks in the lives of our students/kids. 

 



Alongside teaching the correct pronoun usage, we are teaching you how to grow up to be decent human beings! Even though you may think you're just learning how to run 'suicides' in PE, our hope is that you're seeing the lesson of perseverance and take that to every aspect of your lives! Why do you have to work in a group that your teacher chooses?! So that you'll learn how to work with people other then your best friends, that you'll be able to learn from them and how to work with them. Why do you have to bring all materials to class and have due dates: BECAUSE THIS IS HOW LIFE WORKS! It is full of deadlines and timelines; coming prepared is not just for boyscouts but for LIFE!

In this day and age where life is full of negative comments and confusion, lets all agree that teaching is vitally important whether it is in the home, on a field, online, or in a classroom.


TEACH ON!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment